Frequently Asked Questions
- A person of 17 years of age and older.
- A person in good physical health
- A person who weighs over 50 kilograms.
Blood donation is 100% safe, and does not transmit HIV or other infectious diseases. The donation kit is used only once and disposed of right after its usage.
The donor will feel a small pinch for a quick second and then it will immediately go away.
Between 350 and 450 ml of blood is retrieved from the blood donation process.The human body contains roughly 5 to 6 liters of blood, and is capable of recovering the donated blood within a month.
Most donors do not complain of any side effects when they donate blood. However, here are some steps to consider after your blood donation:
- It is recommended to have some juice and rest for 10-15 minutes before resuming daily activities.
- In case the donor is a smoker, it is better to refrain from smoking for at least an hour.
- The donor must refrain from excessive sports and activities for the next 24 hours.
- Extra amounts of water and fluids throughout the day will make for a quick recovery.
- The plasma from the extracted blood will be replaced within 24 hours. Red cells need about 4 to 6 weeks.
- It is preferable for a person to donate Up to 4 times a year, however with more than 56 days in between.
- When donating platelets, donation can be done every 7 days, with no more than 24 times a year.
- Red blood cells could be used in accidents involving trauma or anemia but also for patients in need of surgeries.
- Plasma could also be used for patients with clotting problems, burns, or liver disease.
- Platelets could often be used to treat cancer patients or patients in need of transplants.
- Red blood cells may be stored under refrigeration for a maximum of 42 days or frozen for up to 10 years.
- Platelets may be kept at room temperature for up to 5 days only.
- Plasma can be frozen for a period of one year.
- Cryoprecipitate AHF may be stored in a frozen state for one year.
- White blood cells should be transported to the patient within 24 hours.